Sturgeons are one of the most economically interesting objects for farming. This is due to a number of factors:
- Sturgeons are characterized by low cost of farming and high market price
- People have consumed sturgeons for centuries, at the moment they are almost gone lost in the basins. Sturgeon fishing is strictly prohibited. The offer does not keep up with demand.
- There is not enough quality sturgeon (imported fish is of poor quality), the demand for domestic sturgeon exceeds supply.
- The technology of commercial sturgeon farming is well developed and easily mastered by beginners.
- Fish fry is available in almost every region.
Fish fry available for sale
- Fertilized eggs
Product Types for sale
Portion sterlet (300-600 grams)
Duration of farming from fry is 6-7 months
The traditional market is restaurants and shops, production is not processed.
Sturgeons of average weighing between 1000 and 2000 grams
Duration of farming from fry is 10-13 months
Fish of this weight can be partially processed, usually smoked. Such fish is bought by restaurants, shops, smokehouses.
Large sturgeons (from 2 kg and larger)
Duration of farming from fry is 13 months or more
They are analogous to wild fish. It is of great interest for fish processors that incur a deficit of fish in the "off season" when cage farms almost stop supplying their fish to the shelves. Such fish is used to make steaks, cured fillet, fillets, smoked fish, and other products. In addition, it is delivered to shops and restaurants or used as a sharing dish.
Features of Farming
- Year-round farming in the tanks (RAS)
- Regular fish sales throughout the year (daily / weekly).
- Optimum water temperature 22-24оС
- Fish stocking density in the recirculating aquaculture systems up to 70 kg/m3 (in some cases up to 80 kg/m3)
- Fish fry – fingerlings 10-20 g or juvenile fish 100-200 g to reduce the duration of farming.
- Features of farming – sturgeon is the ground fish, so the maximum water depth in the tank is 1 meter.