African catfish is one of the most economically interesting fishes for farming. This is due to a number of factors:
- African catfish is more elite and expensive fish than its European brother.
- African catfish is characterized by low cost of farming and relative high market price. Profit from the sale is about 100%.
- The technology of African catfish farming is well developed, one of the most simple and easily mastered by beginners. No experts are required.
- High quality fish. Dietary fish containing the entire set of microelements.
- The fish is odorless and has long been taken the fancy of many housewives
- Very fast growth. Term from stocking to the first fish – 3 months or more
- Unpretentiousness of African catfish. There is no need for oxygen equipment, the requirements for water quality are much lower than for other types of fish
- Switching to own fish stocking material is possible in 1 year
- A huge amount of processed products. The catfish is processed into sausages, smoked and semi-finished products
- Restaurants are actively buying catfish for their dishes
Fish fry types available for sale
- Fertilized eggs
- Switching to own reproduction is possible.
Product Types for sale
Marketable live fish (1000-3000 grams)
Duration of farming from fry is 4-7 months
The traditional market is restaurants, shops, and processers.
Marketable processed fish
African catfish can be processed into sausages, smoked and any semi-finished products
Features of Farming
- Year-round farming in the tanks (RAS)
- Regular fish sales throughout the year (daily / weekly).
- Optimum water temperature 26-28оС
- Fish-holding density in the recirculating aquaculture systems up to 350 kg/m3 (in some cases up to 400 kg/m3)
- Fish stocking material – fingerlings 10-20 g or juvenile fish 100 g to reduce the duration of farming.
- Features of farming – does not require oxygen equipment, requires a special water treatment system (supplied complete with the farm)